10.09.2008

a-MEN!!

Back of the bus





I saw this video in one of my classes this week. It is phenomenal to me. Several months ago, I ignorantly said, "I'm surprised no one has thrown race into this election yet." Well, shit. And then I started to hear the whispers of people (fellow students!, acquaintances, an in-law) bringing it up. Like "Why waste your vote on him-he's gonna be assassinated anyway." and "Who is really ready for a black president?"


And then I saw this:



Look, I'm not going to tell you who to vote for. I'm not going to tell you who I'm voting for. All I'm gonna say is this:

Please, please, let's look at the issues, the person's qualifications, and where we want our country to go. Let's please not bring up the color of a person's skin, or where he grew up, or if she has a pregnant teen, or if she has a special needs child, or how pretty she is, or how 'white' he acts, or what religion he is.....

Yes, I realize these things matter, to an extent. I realize that. But truly, must we bring up race? Must we act as though he is not qualified based on the color of his skin???

I will stop this rant before I get too upset, but please, click the link, and watch the quick clip. I completely agree-We should not be forcing anyone to go backwards, to go to the back of the bus. It's 2008, for the love of Pete.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN! :-)

Mary O said...

Oh, that picture is just horrifying.

CP said...

I too am shocked by that photo. I wonder about McCain's responsibility to tell his supporters that they are idiots if they think like that?

Anonymous said...

OMG.. You know that McCain would have a FIT if he knew that his supporters were promoting shirts like that. I think though that there are many racists out there that don't care for McCain but will vote for him cause he's white..and there are others that will vote for Obama just because there are 2 men and he dosen't have a female running mate.. You know?